This is a refreshing salad with the mint leaves and toasted spices - interesting - Jug
- Prep Time :
- Cook Time :
- Ready Time :
4 Starter salad size
- 1 lb Carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 t Cumin seeds
- 1 t caraway seeds
- 1 t Paprika
- 1/2 t
- 2 Cs Garlic
- 1/4 c lemon juice
- 2 Ts Olive Oil
- 1 t Honey
- 1/2 c chopped mint leaves optional
- 1/2 c crumbled feta, goat or blue cheese optional
- Peel and slice the carrots diagonally in about 1/2 inch lengths
- Blanch the sliced carrots for 2 minutes in a large pot of boiling water, then plunge into an ice-water bath to stop the cooking process.
- Once the carrots are completely cooled, drain and transfer to a salad bowl.
- Using a dry skillet with no oil or butter, toast the cumin and caraway over high heat for about 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Watch carefully. Under cooking is better
- Grind into a fine powder using a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder.
- Combine the cumin and caraway mixture with the paprika and cinnamon in a small bowl. I suggest starting with about 1/2 the cinnamon and taste or smell to adjust
- Add garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and honey.
- Whisk until blended, then pour over the carrots and toss to coat.
- Set aside to the flavors meld, about 20-30 minutes.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle salad with handfuls of chopped mint and crumbled feta.
- Leave out the feta and its Vegan
This recipe comes from http://www.crumbblog.com/