This is my sister-in-law Beverly's recipe and it is the best I've ever had. Like most people who are really good at something, Beverly doesn't measure, but just knows how much to use. This recipe is as close as I could get to measurements. - jug
- Prep Time :
- Cook Time :
- Ready Time :
- 2 whole Eggs Large
- 1/4 c Crisco shortening
- 1 c Buttermilk or make your own
- 3 Cs self-rising, hot-rising Martha White brand corn meal Martha White
- 1/2 c self-rising White Lily brand white flour White Lily self-rising flour
- Preheat oven to 425-450F.
- heavily coat with 1/4 cup of Crisco shorting a cold 9-inch cast iron skillet – coat heavily because the batter kind of fries in the shorting
- Add dry ingredients together into a large bowl.
- Mix the eggs and butter milk in a separate bowl
- Add the eggs and the butter milk to the dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the pre-greased 9-inch skillet.
- Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes, or until it is lightly browned around the edges, Beverly likes her’s crispy, or until a fork stuck into the center of the pan comes out clean. Serve hot.
Notes: Only fill the skillet halfway with the batter. It seems to be very important to use self-rising cornmeal and flour for this recipe and Beverly swears by White Lily self-rising flour and Martha White “Hot Rise” corn meal. – jug
Servings Per Recipe: 8 Servings
Amount Per Serving
- Total Fat: 8.0g
- Cholesterol: 46.5mg
- Sodium: 985.3mg
- Total Carbs: 51.1g
- Dietary Fiber: 4.1g
- Protein: 7.1g