Posted November 6, 2011 by jughandle
These take a little time to prepare but they are worth it. Spicy great flavor with cool sour cream - jug
- Prep Time :
- Cook Time :
- Ready Time :
For topping sauce:
- 6 Ts sour cream substitute - Greek yogurt
- 1 t Chipotle chiles in adobo
- 3/4 t grated lime zest
- 1 t Lime juice
- 6 Cs Baking potatoes shredded - about 1 1/2 lbs
- 1 c Onion grated
- 6 Ts all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 Ts jalapeño pepper finely chopped
- 1 large eggs
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1/4 c Olive Oil for cooking
- Salt & Pepper as needed
- For Topping:
- Combine sour cream, chipotle with adobo sauce, grated lime and lime juice in a small bowl, stirring well.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- For Latkes:
- Combine shredded potato and grated onion in a colander with 1/2 t salt to release moisture.
- Drain 30 minutes, pressing occasionally with the back of a spoon until barely moist.
- Combine drained potato/onion mixture, flour, cilantro, jalapeno, egg and cumin in a large bowl; toss well.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to pan; swirl to coat.
- Spoon 1/4 cup potato mixture loosely into a dry measuring cup.
- Pour mixture into pan; flatten slightly.
- Repeat the procedure 5 times to form 6 latkes.
- Sauté 3 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and thoroughly cooked.
- Remove latkes from pan; keep warm.
- Repeat procedure with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and potato mixture to yield 12 latkes total.
- Serve with sour cream mixture