- Preheat oven to 425-450F.
- heavily coat with 1/4 cup of Crisco shorting a cold 9-inch cast iron skillet – coat heavily because the batter kind of fries in the shorting
- Add dry ingredients together into a large bowl.
- Mix the eggs and butter milk in a separate bowl
- Add the eggs and the butter milk to the dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the pre-greased 9-inch skillet.
- Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes, or until it is lightly browned around the edges, Beverly likes her’s crispy, or until a fork stuck into the center of the pan comes out clean. Serve hot.
Notes: Only fill the skillet halfway with the batter. It seems to be very important to use self-rising cornmeal and flour for this recipe and Beverly swears by White Lily self-rising flour and Martha White “Hot Rise” corn meal. – jug