Upside Down Potato and Onion Tart Recipe
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour 15 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 25 minutes
- 2 1//2 Tbsp Butter
- 12 Sprigs Thyme pull the leaves off stems and discard stems
- 1 Whole Vidalia Onion Large Sliced
- 1 lb Red Potatoes washed and sliced thin
- 3 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 C Gruyere cheese grated
- 1/2 C Feta Cheese crumbled
- 1 C Mozzarella cheese grated
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Grate the Gruyere and Mozzarella cheeses
- Crumble the Feta Cheese
- Slice the onion into thin rings, rinse with water, dry and reserve
- Slice the potato into thin disks, rinse with water, dry and reserve
- De-stem the Thyme and reserve
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Melt the butter in a 9-10 inch ovenproof frying pan (cast iron is great) over medium heat.
- Add the thyme and onion and saute for 5 minutes don't break up the onions when you stir.
- Place the potato, olive oil, cheeses, salt and pepper in a bowl and toss to combine.
- Spread the onion evenly in the pan and top with the potato mixture.
- Put the whole thing in the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. The potatoes will be the last thing to cook, check them.
- Drain off and extra liquid about 3/4 of the way through to get a more crispy result
- Use a knife to cut around the tart in the pan to loosen it. Turn upside down onto a serving dish to serve.