I revisited a Bojangle’s restaurant that recently sprung up in our neighborhood. I was impressed. The food was excellent but I really liked the Cajun Rice. The following recipe is a close copy. Hope you enjoy it. – jughandle
Dirty (cajun) Rice Bojangle's Style
- 1 pound sausage Should be andouille could also be chicken giblets or bacon
- 2 cups white rice long grain
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 stalk green onion diced fine
- 1 pinch black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 whole Bell Pepper diced
- 2 Stalks Celery diced
- 1 whole Yellow Onion diced
- 1 whole jalapeno pepper diced
- Cook the rice in the chicken stock until done and set aside.
- Day old rice can be used and is actually better.
- Saute the bacon, sausage or giblets (or any combination) in a cast iron pot until cooked but not crisp.
- Remove the meat and set aside.
- In the drippings, add the onion, bell pepper and celery, cooking until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the jalapeno and cook for another minute or so.
- Do not drain.
- Add salt, pepper to taste and Cajun seasoning. (Slap Your Mama is great also)
- Return the meat to the pot; reduce heat to medium low, cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add a small amount of water only if needed to prevent sticking.
- Add the cooked rice and green onion, stir together, cover and reduce heat to a medium low simmer.
- Heat through, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.