With any satisfying meal it is important to not only have good flavors, but combine different textures and even different temperatures. The crunch of the pepper with the mouth texture of the quinoa and the spice of the tomato mixture and topping provide depth of flavor, texture and spice that is hard to find in any dish. For a whole meal serve with a cold tossed salad. This recipe is an original Fat Farm creation. Let me know what you think. - jug
- Prep Time :
- Cook Time :
- Ready Time :
1 hour, 45 min
- 3/4 c
- 4 whole Bell Peppers tops removed and cleaned
- 1 c Med onion (1 med) finely chopped
- 2 Ts Olive oil for sauteing
- 1/2 c Celery (2 stalks) finely chopped
- 1 t ground cumin or 1/2 T cumin seeds
- 2 Clove Garlic minced (optional)
- 1 lb Fresh spinach blanched
- 1 c Tofu Extra Firm - sliced and crumbled
- 1 can RoTel brand Diced Tomatoes & green chilies 10 oz can
- 1 can Kidney beans 15 oz can
- 4-8 Ts Tomato Spread one for each serving - see link to recipe in directions
1. Bring a large pot of water (1 to 2 qts) to a boil. Put spinach into boiling water for 30 sec. then remove and quickly place in cold water to stop the cooking process. Reserve.
2. Heat olive oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and celery, and cook 5 minutes, or until soft. Add cumin and garlic, and sauté 1 additional minute. Stir in spinach and Ro Tel brand tomatoes & green chilies (reserve juice). Cook 5-10 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated.
3. Stir in kidney beans, quinoa, carrots, and 2 cups water. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until quinoa is tender. Stir in 1 cup crumbled extra firm tofu. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Pour liquid from tomatoes in bottom of baking dish.
4. Cut the top off of each bell pepper and with a spoon remove the seeds and as much of the white membrane as possible, then rinse. Fill each bell pepper with heaping amount of the quinoa mixture, and place in baking dish. Cover with foil, and bake 1 hour. Uncover, top with 1 T of tomato spread and bake 15 minutes more, or until tops of stuffed peppers are browned. Let stand 5 minutes. Transfer stuffed peppers to serving plates, and sauce each with seasoned pan juices before serving.
Note: any remaining stuffing can be frozen for later use. If using as a side dish the peppers can be cut in half lengthwise for a smaller serving.onio
Servings Per Recipe: 4-8 Servings
Amount Per Serving
- Total Fat: 10.2g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: 596.8mg
- Total Carbs: 60.5g
- Dietary Fiber: 16g
- Protein: 15.7g