This is my Grandfather's recipe which was brought over from Germany by his parents in the late 1800's. Gran-daddy made this salad every time he visited. Note that the calories are pretty low for a potato salad. It doesn't have mayo in it.
- Prep Time :
- Cook Time :
- Ready Time :
- 3 Cs peeled and 1/2
- 4 Slices bacon fried and grease reserved
- 1 small yellow or white onion
- 1/2 c white vinegar
- 3 Ts
- 1 t sugar
- 2 ts Kosher Salt
- 1/4 t Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 t Fresh Parsley leaves chopped
- 1 Scallion green and all - chopped
- 1 t Celery seeds or salt
- Place the potatoes into a pot, and fill with enough cold water to cover. Always start potatoes in cold water
- Bring to a boil, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. Drain, and set aside to cool.
- Fry the bacon in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Fry until browned and crispy.
- Remove bacon from the pan and reserve.
- Add chopped white onion to the hot bacon grease, and cook over medium heat until browned.
- Add the vinegar, water, sugar, salt and pepper to a measuring cup, mix and taste. Adjust seasoning, water or vinegar,
- Add the liquid to the pan with the bacon grease slowly, not to splatter.
- Bring to a boil, stirring
- then pour over the potatoes in a large bowl and add parsley.
- Crumble in half of the bacon. Stir thoroughly, then transfer to a serving dish.
- Crumble the remaining bacon and sliced scallions over the top, sprinkle with celery seeds or celery salt and serve warm.
Servings Per Recipe: 4 Cups
Amount Per Serving
- Total Fat: 3.4g
- Cholesterol: 5.4mg
- Sodium: 1271.9mg
- Total Carbs: 30.8g
- Dietary Fiber: 2.7g
- Protein: 4.6g