With any satisfying meal it is important to not only have good flavors, but combine different textures and even different temperatures.
Jughandle’s Quinoa Stuffed Peppers have the crunch of the pepper with the mouth texture of the quinoa and the spice of the tomato mixture.
The topping provides depth of flavor, texture and spice that is hard to find in any dish.
This recipe is an original Fat Farm creation. Let me know what you think. – jug
Jughandle's Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 4 bell peppers Large peppers, use multiple colors
- 3/4 cup Quinoa uncooked pre-rinsed variety which has the hull or saponins removed.
- 1 cup Onion 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/2 Cup Carrots chopped smallish
- 1/2 cup celery 2 ribs finely chopped
- 1 T ground cumin or 1/2 T cumin seeds
- 2 cloves garlic 2 tsp minced
- 1 cup tofu extra firm cut into cubes
- 1 lb spinach fresh blanched and squeezed dry
- 10 oz Diced tomatoes & green chilies can of RoTel brand
- 15 oz kidney beans can
- 4 T Tomato Spread See recipe
Stuffed Pepper Method:
- Bring a large pot of water (1 to 2 qt) to a boil. Put spinach into boiling water for 30 sec. then remove and quickly place in cold water to stop the cooking process. Reserve.
- Rinse the grain briefly in cold water. Cook as you would rice. One cup of grain for 2 cups of water or other flavored liquid, such as stock or even vegetable juice.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook 10 -15 minutes or until the germ separates from the seed.
Make The Stuffing:
- Heat olive oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and celery, and cook 5 minutes, or until soft. Add cumin and garlic, and sauté 1 additional minute. Stir in spinach and RoTel brand tomatoes & green chilies (reserve juice). Cook 5-10 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in kidney beans, quinoa, carrots, and 2 cups water. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until quinoa is tender. Stir in 1 cup crumbled extra firm tofu. Season with salt and pepper.
Assemble And Bake:
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Pour reserved tomato liquid into bottom of baking dish.
- Cut the top off of each bell pepper and with a spoon remove the seeds and as much of the white membrane as possible, then rinse.
- Fill each bell pepper with heaping amount of the quinoa mixture, and place in baking dish.
- Cover with foil, and bake 1 hour.
- Uncover, top with 1 T of tomato spread and bake 15 minutes more, or until tops of stuffed peppers are browned.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Transfer stuffed peppers to serving plates, and sauce each with seasoned pan juices before serving.
- Note: any remaining stuffing can be frozen for later use.