submitted by Andy Garr
This Southern Style White Beans and Rice Recipe was submitted by Andy Garr. Andy has a keen eye, and taste, for good Southern food. Thanks Andy. What we have here is a true quick Southern Comfort food recipe that will be made in my household as long as I’m around. – jughandle
South Louisiana-Style White Beans & Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound smoked or Andouille sausage sliced
- 1 onion large onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 stalk celery large stalk chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound Northern Beans Camellia Brand would be nice
- 10 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt more or less to taste
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper more or less to taste
- 1 tsp Creole seasoning more or less to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions plus extra for garnish
- 8 cups cooked rice hot cooked, 1 cup per serving more or less
- Rinse and sort beans.
- To a large heavy pot over medium heat, add oil.
- Add sliced sausage to pot, and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Put the onions, bell pepper, celery, and garlic into pot, and sauté till soft and translucent.
- Add beans, water, cayenne, and bay leaf to pot.
- Bring it all to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 1-2 hours, or until beans are tender. Add additional water as necessary. Don't let it dry out and burn.
- For a creamier consistency, mash some beans against the side of the pot or use a stick blender.
- Add salt, pepper, and creole seasoning to taste.
- Just before serving, stir in fresh parsley and green onions, and serve with hot cooked rice.
Camellia Brand Great Northern Beans provided this classic recipe. They have great products and can be purchased on the internet to be delivered to your door.