This German Potato Salad with Eggs and hot bacon dressing recipe came from my German family side. Passed down through my mother’s side of the family from Alsace Lorraine. I know it is at least 150 years old, but it could be older. Keep in mind that when my Grandfather made this dish, there were no measurements used, only experienced eye-balling. The amounts are my estimates/adjustments over the years. Feel free to modify whatever doesn’t work for you. – jughandle
My grandfather used the bacon dressing for this dish in several recipes. He made wilted spinach with hot bacon dressing, and “spring tonic” buckwheat pancakes with dandelion greens and hot bacon dressing. It always tasted different, but great.
German Potato Salad with Eggs and Hot Bacon Dressing
- 4 pounds red potatoes cooked and peeled
- 1/4 pound bacon about 5-6 pieces fried crispy and reserve the grease
- 3 Tbsps bacon grease from the fried bacon to make the dressing
- 1 cup onion chopped white onion
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- 4 eggs hard cooked and sliced
- 4 scallions sliced about 1/4 inch long
- 1/2 Cup white vinegar
- 1 Cup water to dilute vinegar, use more or less to taste
- Kosher salt more or less to taste
- black pepper more or less to taste
- 1/2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard optional
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Blanch the potatoes then peel and quarter.
- Place the quartered potatoes into another pot, and fill with enough cold water to cover. Always start potatoes in cold water
- Bring to a boil, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. Drain, and set aside to cool.
- hard cook the eggs in another pot then cool, peel and quarter
For the hot bacon dressing
- Fry the bacon in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Fry until browned and crispy.
- Remove bacon from the pan, drain grease and reserve 3 Tbsps of grease in the pan.
- Add chopped white onion to the hot bacon grease, and saute over medium heat until translucent.
- Add the vinegar, water and mustard to a measuring cup, mix and taste.
- Adjust seasoning, water or vinegar, It shouldn't taste too bitter. Some people use sugar to sweeten the flavor.
- Add the liquid to the hot frying pan with the bacon grease slowly, not to splatter.
- Bring to a boil, add salt and pepper, stirring for 1 to 2 minutes
- Put the potatoes and eggs in a large serving dish. Sprinkle with the celery seeds, celery salt and parsley and toss to mix.
- Crumble in half of the bacon. Pour the hot bacon dressing over the potatoes, eggs and bacon. Mix to coat and combine.
- Crumble the remaining bacon and sliced scallions over the top, serve warm.