Houston’s Canadian Cheese Soup – If you are as old as I am you might remember when Houston’s restaurants came to Atlanta. They started in Nashville. My brother worked there for a while and was able to get me the recipe for their amazing cheese soup. I don’t know if they even serve the soup anymore but it is incredible.
This rich, hearty soup can be a meal in itself with a nice French or Italian bread. It is my go to comfort food on a cold winter day.
When my brother got the recipe it was 5 gal sized. I have reduced it to a more manageable size. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. – jughandle
Houston's Canadian Cheese Soup
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1 cup Carrots 1/8 inch cubes
- 1/4 Cup Flour all purpose
- 1 Cup Onions Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Celery 1/8 inch cubes
- 3 Cups Chicken Broth low sodium
- 3 Cups Half and Half
- 2 lbs. Velveeta
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Parsley
- 12 ounces Beer nothing dark or fruity The beer is optional.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven.
- Add the carrots, onions and celery all at once. And sauté until soft but not brown.
- Add flour and stir to combine making a blond roux with the butter. Cook until mixture begins to turn a light-brown color.
- Over medium high heat, add the chicken broth a little at a time so not to break the sauce.
- Turn the heat down to med/low
- Stir and continue to cook and stir with a whisk until a thick base is formed.
- Add half and half being careful not to let boil.
- Add cheese, stirring until melted.
- Stir in a bottle of beer if you want. I usually do it just adds a little something
- Garnish with diced tomatoes and jalapenos and parsley if desired. Or pico de gallo