Ella Ween Myer’s Southern Pecan Pie is a Family Legend
I am a lucky guy to have married into a family of hard working, strong willed Alabama women. They all have a list of talents and constantly surprise. Ella Ween, my wife’s mother is the matriarch of the family. Along with her mother Donie Mae Brown, she raised a batch of good cook’n, good look’n, women.
The list of good meals I’ve had at the hands of these fine people would fill a book. I’ll start with dessert. The first time I had Ella Ween’s Pecan Pie I couldn’t believe how good it was. It’s been the same for over 35 years.
I even started to order “the best pecan pie” at restaurants and diners when ever I saw it on the menu. I’ve always been disappointed. They are never as good as Ella Ween’s. – Jughandle
Ella Ween Myer's Southern Pecan Pie
- 1 pie crust scratch made is best
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter Melted and cooled
- 1 cup Golden Eagle corn syrup This is what makes Ella Ween's different and oh so good
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 oz pecans chopped
- 4 oz pecan halves
- 1 tsp lemon juice this is a little acid to brighten the flavors
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour to thicken the filling
- Blind bake the crust for 10 minutes then cool
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees,
- beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl with a whisk or a handheld mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- add the sugar, melted butter, Golden Eagle syrup, flour, vanilla extract, lemon juice, salt, and 6 ounces of the pecans. Mix
- Once everything is mixed well, pour the filling into a blind baked pie shell.
- coat the pecan halves with a little Golden Eagle syrup and arrange them on top of the pie.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour; the pie filling should be fully baked in the center. It is like a custard.
- Check your crust at 40-45 minutes and if it is getting too brown, cover with foil until the pie is fully baked in the center. A knife inserted should come out clean.
- Let the pie cool to set the filling
- Top with ice cream or whipped cream or both, if you can take the time.