Massaman curry paste ingredients are easy to find. Most ingredients are available at local grocery stores, or at an Indian market. Roasting the ingredients prior to processing them in the mortar is the difference between Massaman Curry Paste and other Thai curries.
Massaman Curry Paste Recipe
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 stick cinnamon 2 inch piece
- 5 cloves whole cloves
- 1 Tbsp coriander dried
- 1/3 Tbsp cumin round the corner
- 4 Bird chiles whole Dried or 2 fresh
- 1/2 inch galangal julienne or ginger root
- 1 head garlic medium size head peeled
- 1 stalk lemongrass prior to using it in the mortar, Make your job easier by pre-grinding in a food processor.
- 1/3 Tbsp peppercorns Black or red or a combination of the two.
- 1 Tbsp Kosher salt Coarse Kosher salt is used as an abrasive in the mortar. The paste will be diluted in the curry. Cut back if you must.
- 3 shallots peeled and cleaned
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- 1 Mace one pod of mace ground
- 1 Nutmeg one whole nut ground. Cut back if you don't like nutmeg
- Grill or roast garlic and shallots with skin on. In Thailand, the garlic and shallots are buried in hot ashes below the fire in the charcoal stove.
- Roast until the flesh is soft and cooked and the skin is charred. Cook about 5-10 minutes depending on your roasting method. Put them directly on the grill over gas stove like you would when roasting peppers.
- Using low flame, it takes about 5 minutes. Peel the skin and remove any charred spots after garlic and shallot are cool to touch.
- Tear the chile stems off and remove the seeds.
- Cut or tear the chiles into big pieces whether or not you are using fresh or dried peppers,
- Slice galangal or ginger into thin pieces and julienne them.
- Slice lemongrass thin. You only need about half of the stalk, about 6-7 inches. Use the part of the stalk closer to the root. Process in your food processor a few pulses before putting it in the mortar.
- Toast the chilies and lemongrass until slightly brown in a pan, over medium heat. It should take about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the roasted chile peppers and lemongrass.
- Add the rest of the spices, except for the garlic and shallots and toast them by moving them around in the pan.
- Roast the spices until they are fragrant, for about 2 minutes. Remove the spices from heat.
Pounding In The Mortar:
- Start with the roasted chile peppers and salt.
- When your chili peppers are roughly ground, add the toasted processed lemongrass.
- Pound until the lemongrass is roughly ground.
- Add all the other toasted spices, except for roast garlic and shallots.
- Pound until well blended, it may take up to 30 minutes depending on your biceps and the size of your mortar and pestle.
- Add the roasted garlic and shallots.
- Pound again until everything is mixed in and smooth.
- Add shrimp paste and pound to mix everything together.
- Finely Ground and fragrant Massaman Curry Paste is dark red, from roasted the ingredients.
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy
Thai Fried Rice Recipe-eatingthaifood.com
Pad Thai Recipe – Jughandle’s Fat Farm
Tom Yum Goong Recipe – Jughandle’s Fat Farm
Som Tam Recipe – Jughandle’s Fat Farm