The Breakfast Wrap Idea From Ming Tsai is a great idea whose time has come. Some things make so much sense that you say, “why didn’t I think of that.’ -jughandle
Think of The Possibilities
Possibilities abound. Chef Tsai says himself that a great cook first learns the techniques, not the dishes. Then uses what he learns to develop dishes unique to him.
Using an omelet as a tortilla or wrapping device opens up any number of variations from savory to sweet. Healthy eating to comfort food.
Start With The Original Recipe
Omelet Wrap with Corn, Tomato, Watercress, and Fermented Black Bean Salsa
on the go breakfast!
Allergy Free Note: dairy free, shellfish free, peanut free, tree nut free
For The Omelet Wrap
- 4 eggs large
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper or more to taste freshly ground
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp cilantro minced
- 2 Tbsps jalapeno to taste minced
- 1 Cup scallions about 2 bunches thinly sliced both green and white parts separated
- 3 ½ Tbsps rice flour If using all-purpose flour use 2 Tbsp
- 16 ounces firm tofu 1- 14 to 16 ounce package cut into ½ inch cubes
- 10 ounces Tamari sauce approx 1 bottle. Use low sodium if you can find it.
- 2 Tbsps Canola or grapeseed oil divided for frying
For The Salsa Filling
- 1 Tbsp fermented black beans minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp ginger fresh,minced
- 1 Cup corn or 2 fresh ears with kernels cut from the ear
- 1 cup tomato diced, either fresh or canned
- 2 cups watercress about 2 bunches of loose leaf
- 1 Tbsp canola oil for frying
Method for the omelet wrap
- Beat the eggs, water, salt and pepper together in a large mixing bowl
- Add in the cilantro, jalapeno, rice flour and scallion greens. Whisk together to combine.
- Heat 2 medium sauté pans on medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon of grapeseed or canola oil to each.
- When the pans are hot split the batter between the two sauté pans and make sure both have an equal, even layer, of the batter.
- Cook until golden brown and then flip once. When both sides are cooked remove to a separate plates.
To Make The Salsa Filling
- Add the white scallions to a bowl with the tofu and tamari. Let soak for 1 hour.
- In a wok, add 1 tablespoon canola oil and add the fermented black beans, ginger, garlic and scallion whites. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and fresh corn.
- After draining the tamari from the tofu mixture, add the mixture to the pan and sauté for 1-2 more minutes.
- Lay egg wrap on a plate and top with 3-4 tablespoons of warmed salsa.
- Add watercress on top, roll or fold it all together and enjoy.
Variations on the theme
There are many ways to vary this recipe.
- The egg mixture
- use more egg, less flour
- more flour less egg
- a different flour
- try different spices and ingredients
- add milk instead of water and add more to make a thinner more delicate wrapper
- The Salsa or Stuffing Mixture
- meat instead of tofu
- ground beef would be interesting
- plain bacon strips
- grilled asparagus with a hollandaise sauce topping
- poached trout or salmon would be amazing
- breakfast sausage
You get the idea. Try something and let me know how it comes out. -Jughandle