Spaghetti with Egg and Pangritata
For The Pangritata (Toasted Seasoned Breadcrumbs):
- 1/2 cup (216 g) olive oil extra virgin
- 1 1/3 cup (144 g) breadcrumbs Panko or course homemade
- 1 ½ Tbsp (1.5 Tbsp) rosemary minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) Lemon zest zest of two lemons
For The Spaghetti And Eggs:
- 1 lb (453.59 g) spaghetti Thin or Angel hair
- 1 Tbsp (1 Tbsp) olive oil EVOO
- 1 Tbsp (1 Tbsp) butter unsalted is best
- 4 cloves (4 cloves) garlic minced
- 6 raw (6 raw) eggs large
- 1/3 cup (20 g) Flat Leaf Parsley Italian parsley Chopped
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) Red Pepper crushed
- Black Pepper Freshly ground to taste
- 1/2 cup (100 g) Pecorino Romano cheese grated
Method For Pangritata (bread crumbs):
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the breadcrumbs and sauté until golden and crispy, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the rosemary, and immediately remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Mix in lemon zest and set aside.
Method For The Spaghetti And Eggs:
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil and cook pasta to al dente according to directions on box. (I usually undercook the pasta by about a minute.)
- Wipe out the skillet from the pangritata, add olive oil and butter. Melt together over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and immediately break the eggs into the skillet.
- If need be, lower the heat a bit. You want the garlic to cook without burning and the egg whites to set, but the yolks to remain runny. *Note - you can accomplish the same thing by separating the egg whites and yolks. Add the whites in first and the yolks later.
- Drain the pasta well, reserving 1 c of the cooking liquid.
- Add pasta back to the pot,
- pour the eggs and all the fat from the skillet over the pasta.
- add the parsley and toss well, breaking up the eggs as you do.
- If you prefer a wetter dish, you can add in some of the reserved cooking liquid.
- Plate the pasta and eggs, season well with freshly ground black pepper,
- sprinkle with the grated cheese and then top with the pangritata.