Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
If you’re like me, the word Hummus gives me shivers. I hate hummus. No punches pulled. But…Sunflower Seed Hummus, somewhat peaked my interest. The sunflower seeds bring out a flavor no hummus has ever had before, for me. This recipe I would consider the “bare bones” version. Add spices, hot sauce, more and different herbs. Make it your own and dip everything in it from celery to wings. – jughandle
Sunflower Seed Hummus
Servings 4 servings
This makes around 2 3/4 cups of dip
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas or one can drained
- 3/4 cup Shelled Sunflower seeds NOTE: Colleen's recipe clearly calls for raw UNSHELLED seeds but if I were you I'd use toasted shelled sunflower seeds. Dealer's choice but her picture, which I'm using, shows shelled seeds.
- 2 Tbsps. lemon juice The juice of one nice sized lemon
- 2-3 cloves garlic Garlic is always optional, but in this dip it will be very nice.
- 1-2 tablespoons ice water This is just to adjust consistency and is optional.
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh herbs Parsley, cilantro and or dill. Optional but I highly suggest using something.
- In a food processor blend the sunflower seeds until they are a paste. If you use unshelled seeds this will take about 8-10 minutes. Scrap the sides down to make sure it all gets blended. When you get close to a paste, add in the juice of the lemon and the garlic. Pulse again 3 or 4 times.
- Finally, add the chickpeas and a pinch or salt and pepper and blend until smooth. Add water at this point to get the hummus to the consistency you like. Taste and check for seasoning (add more salt and or pepper if needed)
- When the hummus is done, scrape into bowl(s), and top with lots of fresh herbs and a sprinkle more of sunflower seeds. Now eat it. Eat with veggies, with bread, with pretzels, or with a spoon (or finger). Do what you need to do.
Note: I think Colleen has the making of a great food blogger. I am modifying and using her recipe, her pictures and her ideas without many changes and without her permission. – jughandle
Sunflower Seed Hummus
Amount Per Serving
Calories 322 Calories from Fat 144
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 2g13%
Vitamin A 28IU1%
Vitamin C 5mg6%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.