Char House Strawberry and Banana Cream pie are words that any one living in Sandy Springs Georgia in the 1960s and ’70s would cause their head to snap around. A son of Sandy Springs Georgia, I grew up there and live not far away still today.
Long story short, Sandy Springs once had an iconic eating establishment called “The Char House”. It was located smack dab in the middle of “town”. Everyone, and I mean everyone ate there at some point in their lives. The burgers were griddle smashed with great pickles but it was the cream pies that kept you coming back.
Performing an unofficial poll I found that most people seemed to prefer the Strawberry Cream Pie to the Banana, at least 4 to 1. I guess I’m just different but I could eat, and did on numerous occasions, a whole banana cream pie. I didn’t know it at the time but I’ve been told there was also a chocolate cream pie.
After years of searching and asking around, I finial have acquired what I’ve been told is the authentic recipe from the Char House for their “ice box” or “cream pies”. I have made the recipe and found it very similar to my memory. Hope you enjoy it too. – jughandle
Coach Bratton’s GoTo Banana Bread Recipe calls for walnuts. If you have a nut allergy for all means, leave them out.
Bill Bratton has been a friend of mine since the ’60’s in high school. He recently had a heart attack and is busy trying to improve his condition. Banana bread is a good, filling way to add fruit, nuts and whole wheat grain to your diet. – jughandle
Coach Bratton's GoTo Banana Bread Recipe
What You'll Need:
- 8 Tbsp Butter one stick
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Cup Flour All purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Cup whole wheat flour
- 3 Bananas large bananas very ripe mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 Cup walnuts shelled and coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease a 9x5x3 inch bread pan
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt together.
- Stir in the whole wheat flour and add whole thing to creamed mixture.
- Fold in the bananas, vanilla and walnuts
- Pour mixture into greased pan
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes, remove and finish cooling on rack.
- makes 1 loaf.