Nice light meal, first course or side dish to serve for either dinner or lunch. This Cauliflower Steak Recipe would also be nice with a pan seared piece of fish on top as in the recipe picture. – Jughandle
Cauliflower Steaks with Cauliflower Puree Recipe
What You Will Need:
- 2 heads cauliflower - large heads
- 3 cups water - for cooking florets
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil - for frying steaks
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil - for brushing on steaks
- sea salt and white pepper - to taste
- 1 bunch parsley - or cilantro for garnish, chopped
- 1/4 tsp celery salt - to season puree
- 1/4 tsp McCormicks lemon pepper - to season steaks
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper - to season puree and steaks
Prep the steaks:
- Preheat the oven to 250 F.
- Trim the base of each cauliflower to remove the green leaves and part of the base of the cauliflower.
- Place the each cauliflower root-side down onto the cutting board. Using a sharp knife, make three vertical cuts in each cauliflower to cut away two one-inch steaks from the center of both cauliflowers.
- Put the 4 steaks aside.
For the Puree:
- Cut the remaining cauliflower into florets. 2 inch sized pieces. This should be about 6 cups worth.
- Combine florets, water and milk in a saucepan large enough to hold 8-10 cups.
- Season with salt and pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a boil and cook the mixture until the florets are fork tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Strain, reserving 2 cups of the cooking liquid.
- Spread the drained florets onto a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake ten minutes until slightly dry.
- Transfer florets to a blender or food processor in batches and puree.
- Add about a half of cup of the reserved milk mixture to the blender and blend until smooth.
- Continue until all of the soft florets are blended to a smooth texture.
- Return puree to same saucepan.
- Taste for seasoning. Set aside and keep warm.
To Cook The Steaks:
- Increase the preheated oven to 350 F.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a heavy, ovenproof skillet over medium high heat. Cast iron works great.
- Brush the cauliflower steaks with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Place the cauliflower steaks in the heated skillet and cook until each side is golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake until cauliflower steaks are tender, about 10 minutes more. Sprinkle with seasonings.
- Divide puree equally and top each or the 4 servings with a cauliflower steak. Garnish with chopped parsley or cilantro.