This recipe of Spiced Chicken with Creamed Spinach and Apples is an adaptation of a Food Network Recipe. I replaced their Swiss Chard with creamed Spinach. Sure I bumped the calorie count by about 50 pts per serving but the richness of the Creamed Spinach ties the dish together well. You will be surprised at how good the Gala apples taste in this combination. I recommend a medium body white wine or fruity fall craft beer with your meal. – jughandle
Spiced Chicken with Creamed Spinach and Apples
What You Will Need:
- 4 skinless – boneless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice – ground
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric – ground
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste as required
- 3 Tbsps. olive oil – extra-virgin
- 2 whole Gala apples – cut into wedges- peeling is optional
- 1 med red onion – sliced
- 1 Tbsp. lemon Juice – the juice of one lemon
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 3 cups spinach – chopped (stems and leaves separated)
- 1/4 cup 1/2 and 1/2 cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese – about 1/2 a block
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese – grated
- 1 whole shallot – or small white onion
- Salt and Pepper – to taste
- 2 large cast iron skillets
For the Chicken and Apples
- Season the chicken with the allspice, turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet or seasoned cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the apples, red onion and a pinch of salt to the skillet.
- Cook the apple/onion mixture, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice to the skillet and cook, scraping up any browned bits, 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Arrange the chicken on top of the apple mixture. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is slightly reduced, 6 to 9 minutes.
For the Creamed Spinach
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a separate large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and shallot then Sautee, stirring, until golden, about 30 seconds. Do not burn the garlic, if you do. throw it out and start it over.
- Add the spinach stems and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until softened, 3 minutes. Add the spinach leaves; cook, stirring, until wilted, about 2 more minutes.
- Pour in the 1/2 & 1/2 stirring until it starts to bubble. Then add the cream cheese stirring to incorporate.
- Once incorporated stir in the parmesan cheese. Stir until everything comes together.
- Serve with the chicken and apples.