Key Lime Pound Cake with Key Lime Cream cheese Icing is the ultimate tropical desert. This cake is perfect for those who love the moist consistency of pound cake and the tangy sweetness of Key Lime.
KEY LIME POUND CAKE WITH KEY LIME CREAM CHEESE ICING
What You Will Need:
- 4 Sticks butter - that’s 1 pound bring them to room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 whole large eggs - room temperature
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fresh key lime juice
- 2 oz evaporated milk - (I always keep a good number of those small, 5 ounce cans in my pantry.)
- 4 tsps key lime zest - minced
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 8 ounces cream cheese - One pack at room temperature
- 4 Tbsp butter - room temperature
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed key lime juice
- 3 teaspoons key lime zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 inch tube pan
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 300°. Cover inside of 10 inch tube pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- To make the butter-egg mixture: Using a stand mixer or electric hand-held, beat the butter well until light in color and fluffy. Add the sugar and again beat well until the graininess of the sugar is gone. With a stand mixer it will take 10-15 minutes. One at a time add the eggs and beat only until the yellow disappears.
- Juice mixture: Stir Key lime juice, milk, zest and vanilla together.
- To make the batter: Mixing by hand, gradually add the 4 cups of flour to the butter-egg mixture alternating with the key lime juice, vanilla and milk mixture. Begin and end with flour. Mix well but just enough to incorporate all ingredients. You don’t want a tough pound cake!
- Pour evenly into the tube pan and tap pan on the counter to loosen any air bubbles.
- Bake for 1 hour and 45 minutes at 300° F or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool on a cooling rack for 20-25 minutes in the pan then transfer from pan to cooling rack and allow to cool another hour or until completely cool.
- The cake is far better the following day or 2 days later.
- For the Icing:
- Using a hand mixer beat cream cheese and butter in a large bowl until well mixed.
- Add confectioner’s sugar and beat well until completely smooth and fluffy.
- Add key lime juice, zest and vanilla and mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Ice the cake with a relatively thin layer of icing.
- This recipe makes quite a bit of icing. After icing the entire pound cake I fill the middle hole with the excess icing. When the cake is served icing can be taken from the middle and dolloped along the side the slice of cake.