I found this Red Onion Jam recipe on the HomeSick Texan Blog site. Lisa Fain has a great perspective on cooking.
Spicy Red Onion Jam is a simple recipe to make.
It is a go-to jar I reach for in the refig when making a sandwich now. So what do you do with spicy red onion spread? This is great with roasted or grilled meats, and would be incredible on a cheeseburger, a steak or even a cheese quesadilla.
If you stir it into softened cream cheese, goat cheese or sour cream, you can make the best onion dip.
Try it, change it up, let me know what you do – jughandle
Spicy Red Onion Jam
What You Will Need:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red onions - peeled and sliced into slivers
- 2 cloves garlic - sliced
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo - diced
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- Salt and/or Pepper - to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Add the sliced onions and garlic, and stir while sauteing for 10 minutes or until softened and caramelized.
- Cover, and cook for 20 more minutes, stirring once.
- Add the chipotle chiles, balsamic vinegar and cayenne.
- Stir often, cook until the vinegar is reduced and onions are a dark, red brown color, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Yield: about 1/2 pint