Mittie’s favorite white chicken enchiladas recipe is a dish my sister-in-law Mittie Wooden has been making for 30 years. She swears by this recipe. What’s not to like? It is fast to make, inexpensive and everybody loves it. – Jughandle
Mittie's White Chicken Enchiladas
What You Will Need:
- 10 Flour Tortillas - 8 inch ones will fit in the pan
- 2 cups cooked - shredded chicken
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese - shredded Mittie uses Kraft Tex Mex
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. flour - all purpose
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup Greek yogurt - or sour cream which will be higher calories
- 4 oz diced tomatoes & green chiles - 1 can of Rotel diced chiles
- 9x13 baking dish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan
- Mix chicken and 1 cup cheese. Roll up in tortillas and place in pan.
- In a sauce pan, melt butter, stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add broth and whisk until smooth. Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly. You are making a white sauce
- Stir in sour cream or yogurt and chilies. Do not bring to boil, you don't want curdled cream.
- Pour over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake 22 min and then under high broil for 3 min to brown the cheese.
Notes and Variations:
When you mix the flour into the melted butter you are making a roux or white sauce.
The original recipe calls for sour cream, but to save a few calories Mittie uses Greek Yogurt instead.
The 4 oz can of Rotel can be found at most stores but if you can’t find it here is a link to get 2 – 10 oz cans on Amazon.