In Mexican cuisine, pico de gallo (Spanish for rooster’s beak), also called salsa fresca or salsa cruda, is made from chopped tomato, onion, cilantro, serrano peppers (jalapeños or habaneros are used as alternatives), salt, and lime juice. Other ingredients, such as shrimp, or avocado, are also sometimes added.
Pico de gallo can be used in much the same way as other Mexican liquid salsas, but since it contains less liquid, it can also be used as a main ingredient in dishes such as tacos and fajitas.- Wikipedia
Pico De Gallo Recipe
What You Will Need:
- 4 tomatoes - ripe seeded and chopped coarsely ( I like vine-ripened tomatoes)
- 1 sweet onion - med to large chopped coarsely
- 1 jalapeno - seeded and chopped finely (be careful to wash your hands well after handling jalapenos)
- 4 Tbsp lime juice - Juice of two limes
- 1/2 cup cilantro - chopped
- salt and pepper - to taste
- Dice all ingredients
- Gently combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Allow the salsa to rest for 2 hrs or more, if you can, before serving. Enjoy!