Jughandle’s Slow Roasted Pork Loin is my signature dish.
Watch any cooking competition. They always ask the contestant to cook their signature dish. This is mine. I know without a doubt that the pork with be killer every time I make it. The only variation I make is to cook it on a bed of root vegetables. – Jughandle
Whenever you use a recipe, look for the Key to make the recipe a success. The Key to this recipe is Internal Temperature.
Internal Temperature Of Pork
For years and years all recipes told the cook to ALWAYS cook pork to an internal temperature of over 165 deg F. If you cook your pork to 195-205 deg F, completely breaking down the muscle fibre, you will render the meat tear apart tender. But until you get to that point any internal temperature from 160 to 180 deg F will be dry, tough, and editable.
Pork Is A Different Animal Now
Unless you shoot a wild boar or buy a pig from a rural farmer, the pork you get is safe. It will be much safer to eat than the pork your grandmother or even mother, ate.
Without grossing you out, pigs used to have a parasite called Trichinosis from eating infected meat scraps. Pigs will eat anything.
In the past, pigs infected with trichina worms from eating raw meat scraps were common. Today, most farm raised pigs eat grain-based pellet food, similar to dog chow.
Organically raised pigs munch grass. It’s illegal to feed raw meat to pigs raised commercially. Hence, trichinosis has been virtually eliminated.
Back To The Proper Cook For Slow Roasted Pork Loin
Now that we have gotten all the nasty out of the way, let us continue.
Always use a good internal thermometer to cook any meat. With pork the recommended internal cooking temperature is now 145 deg F. Ground pork should still cook to 160.
I always cook my pork to an internal temperature of 139-140. I then remove from the heat, cover and let rest for 20-30 minutes. The internal temperature will continue to rise and end up somewhere between 145 and 150.
Jughandle's Pork Loin
What You Will Need:
- 4 lb Pork Loin - 3-5 lbs approx - this is considered a 1/2 loin
- 4 Tsp Lemon Pepper - McCormick's Brand only
- 2 Tsp Olive oil - extra virgin
- 1 clove garlic - smashed - optional
- Pre-heat conventional oven to 235 deg F or fire up the grill for indirect cooking
- Rinse and pat dry Pork Loin
- Cover loin with olive oil and heavily rub Lemon Pepper over entire loin
- heat 2 Tbsps of olive oil to smoke point in heavy pan or skillet if using the oven. You won't need to brown the loin before cooking on the grill.
- add garlic to pan
- sear the loin quickly until brown on all sides to start a crust
- put loin on roasting pan fat side up for the oven or put in the grill with indirect heat around 250°F
- insert oven save temperature probe in largest part of loin or check internal temperature after about an hour into the cook.
- put loin in oven and cook until internal temperature reads 139 deg F.
- Remove from oven or grill and cover loosely with foil
- Rest for at least 20 mins
- Internal temperature should now read over 145 deg F.
- Slice and season with salt and pepper and eat while still warm.
Notes and Complimentary recipes:
Get a Good Internal Thermometer
Upside Down Potato and Onion Tart
Jughandle’s Oven Roasted Pork with Root Vegetables
Jughandle’s Modified Caesar Salad
Tip top stuff. I’ll epxect more now.