Roasted potato stacks with crisp baked cheese are the perfect comfort food. These little treats are easy to make and can be served with anything you’d normally have potatoes with, only fancier.
Roasted Potato Stacks Recipe
What You Will Need:
- 2 lbs red potatoes - Yukon gold or Russet works well too
- 4 cloves garlic - sliced or crushed
- 1 tsp kosher salt - more or less to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper - more or less to taste
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning - Sprinkle on top before roasting
- 3 Tbsps olive oil - or butter
- 1 Cup Cheese - any kind will work, grated.
- Mandolin, large mixing bowl, muffin tin, pastry brush
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F
To make the garlic oil:
- combine the olive oil and crushed garlic cloves in a small saucepan and gently warm over low heat until fragrant but the garlic is not brown.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool down a bit.
For the Stacks:
- Use any type of potato that you like, some people even like sweet potatoes, but it is easier if you select potatoes roughly the size of the muffin tin.
- Clean and Peel the potatoes or use them with skin on. Slice potatoes as thin as possible by hand or with a mandolin.
- Brush or spray a 12 hole muffin tin with the garlic oil or baking spray using a pastry brush, spray can or paper towel.
- The easiest way to arrange the slices would be to put the slices in a large bowl and toss with the oil mixture until coated.
- Mix in grated cheese. Then start stacking the slices in the muffin tins.
- You can be as fancy as you want to be. Some people arrange them like rose petals. Some just jam them into the tin. It all eats the same.
- Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the potato stacks with the fresh thyme leaves.
- Roast the potato stacks in the preheated oven for 45 minutes to an hour or until the potatoes are golden brown and cooked through. The thicker your slices the longer they will take to cook.
- Serve immediately with any main entrees.