submitted by Andy Garr
This Southern Style White Beans and Rice Recipe was submitted by Andy Garr. Andy has a keen eye, and taste, for good Southern food. Thanks Andy. What we have here is a true quick Southern Comfort food recipe that will be made in my household as long as I’m around. – jughandle
South Louisiana-Style White Beans & Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound smoked or Andouille sausage sliced
- 1 onion large onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 stalk celery large stalk chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound Northern Beans Camellia Brand would be nice
- 10 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt more or less to taste
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper more or less to taste
- 1 tsp Creole seasoning more or less to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions plus extra for garnish
- 8 cups cooked rice hot cooked, 1 cup per serving more or less
- Rinse and sort beans.
- To a large heavy pot over medium heat, add oil.
- Add sliced sausage to pot, and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Put the onions, bell pepper, celery, and garlic into pot, and sauté till soft and translucent.
- Add beans, water, cayenne, and bay leaf to pot.
- Bring it all to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 1-2 hours, or until beans are tender. Add additional water as necessary. Don't let it dry out and burn.
- For a creamier consistency, mash some beans against the side of the pot or use a stick blender.
- Add salt, pepper, and creole seasoning to taste.
- Just before serving, stir in fresh parsley and green onions, and serve with hot cooked rice.