Mexican pork chile verde and a batch of homemade flour tortillas.
Great comfort-food type of recipe. Use high quality, fresh ingredients and make your own flour tortillas for a memorable meal your guests will want again.
Mexican Pork Chile Verde
What You Will Need:
- 12 oz tomatillos - husked and rinsed (about 6 tomatillos)
- 3 fresh jalapenos - stems removed
- 2 fresh poblano peppers - Large with stems removed
- 1 fresh serrano pepper - stem removed
- 2 fresh yellow onions - medium chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 Tbsp garlic - minced
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable oil - for cooking
- 2 1/2 lbs pork shoulder - cut into bite sized chunks
- salt and pepper - to taste
- 1 1/2 C water - or more depending on how thin or thick you want the sauce
- 2 Tbsp lime juice - about the juice from a lime
- 1/3 C cilantro - chopped
For the chile verde
- Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray or grease with oil.
- Place the tomatillos, jalapenos, poblanos and serrano peppers on the baking sheet and place under broiler.
- Broil on high for 10 minutes, turning the tomatillos and peppers over halfway through.
- Remove the baking sheet from the broiler and cover with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and remove as much of the skin from the peppers and tomatillos as you can.
- At this point, you can also remove the seeds from any of the peppers if you don't want it too spicy.
- Add the broiled tomatillos, peppers, onions and garlic into a large blender.
- Blend until smooth. Set aside until ready to use.
For the pork
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add in the cooking oil and then the pork.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Sear the meat on all sides until nicely browned.
- Add the prepared chile verde and mix thoroughly, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon so you get all the brown bits.
- Cover, lower the heat to simmer and cook for 2 to 3 hours, until the pork is tender.
- Add the water, lime juice and cilantro. Stir until combined. Taste and season with more salt, if necessary.