I was given a heads up by a friend on an article about eating and soaking nuts grains, seeds and legumes before eating them. The following is a loose synopsis of the article
No, not the “Spirit” song. Nature is one smart old broad. And I mean that in the nicest way. Nature includes some digestive and decay resistant chemicals in nuts and seeds, etc., to keep them viable until they have the opportunity to sprout and grow. It only make sense that these chemicals would be toxic to animals and wash off easily with water.
Why soak nuts, grains and seeds?
1. To remove or reduce phytic acid.
2. To remove or reduce tannins.
3. To neutralize the enzyme inhibitors.
4. To encourage the production of beneficial enzymes.
5. To increase the amounts of vitamins, especially B vitamins.
6. To break down gluten and make digestion easier.
7. To make the proteins more readily available for absorption.
8. To prevent mineral deficiencies and bone loss.
9. To help neutralize toxins in the colon and keep the colon clean.
10. To prevent many health diseases and conditions.
“Soaking allows enzymes, lactobacilli and other helpful organisms to break down and neutralize a large portion of phytic acid in grains. Soaking in warm water also neutralizes enzyme inhibitors, present in all seeds, and encourages the production of numerous beneficial enzymes. The action of these enzymes also increases the amount of many vitamins, especially B vitamins. During the process of soaking and fermenting, gluten and other difficult-to-digest proteins are partially broken down into simpler components that are more readily available for absorption.”
What to Soak them In and how long?
Now, I’ve always soaked my dried beans overnight in water to make them easier to cook, but I didn’t know about the seeds and nuts and grains. There are many methods suggested, but the simplest is plan old warm water. Soak for 7 to 24 hours to neutralize the enzyme inhibitors.
If they start to sprout, all the better for you.
There you go. You can then dry them in the refrigerator or eat them wet. What ever you deside to do you’ll be a little healthier for doing it -thanks B – jughandle
To get the full article – click here